Print |  Close this window

Kelmarsh Hall & Gardens

Navigate Website
>>> What's On
Open Lectures & Talks
Occasional talks.
Venue
Harborough Road, Kelmarsh, Daventry, NN6 9LY, East Midlands,
Historic County
Type of Body
Views 'Full' Record + MAP
1087
Visits to Website
1811
URL was last checked
02 September 2016
'Built for the Hanbury family in the 1730s by virtuoso architect, James Gibbs and builder, Francis Smith of Warwick, Kelmarsh Hall was praised by historian Nikolaus Pevsner as, “a perfect, extremely reticent design, done in an impeccable taste" ...

'The gardens that surround the Hall are known for their relaxed charm and "haphazard luxuriance". Renovation work means they are returning to their heyday of the 1930s when society decorator Nancy Lancaster laid out the flower gardens with the help of designers Norah Lindsay and Geoffrey Jellicoe. Despite their grand canvas, they have an intimate, feminine feel, occasionally broken by wide pastoral views over a lost medieval village or the 18th Century lake. These overlays of history contributed to the gardens listing by English Heritage as Grade II*, a garden of national significance.'
Print |  Close this window