Open Lectures & Talks
'The Friends of Norman Cross holds various events to promote the history, and raise the profile, of the Norman Cross depot. These include talks, living history days, and trips to other sites of historic interest.'
Norman Cross Gallery, Norman House, Norman Cross, Peterborough, PE7 3TB, Eastern,
Views 'Full' Record + MAP
URL was last checked
23 October 2016
'The Norman Cross 'depot' (prisoner of war camp) was built in 1797 by the Admiralty to hold prisoners from the Napoleonic wars. It was the first purpose-built depot. At its busiest it housed 7000 prisoners, guarded by 500 soldiers. To occupy their time, the prisoners created equisite marquetry and carvings, many of which can be seen in Peterborough Museum's extensive collection.
'In 1814 following the defeat of Napoleon, the prisoners were repatriated and the wooden depot was largely dismantled. The few brick-built buildings remain as private houses and an art gallery, and earthworks are visible where the site used to be.
'In 1914 a memorial was erected by the Entente Cordial Society to the 1770 prisoners who died in the depot. The memorial was a bronze eagle atop a stone column, and was located next to the north-bound Great North Road (A1) adjacent to the site. In 1990 the column was demolished and the eagle was stolen.
'In 2005 an appeal to provide a new memorial came to fruition with the inauguration of a new eagle, created by sculptor John Doubleday, at a new location next to the A15.'